Thursday 17 May 2012

Naruto Shippuden Episode 263 - Sai and Shin - Review / Thoughts

Episode 263 of Shippuden did something I am very happy about, something I have been hoping for and something I hope shall continue. What is this I am talking about? Adding filler, but actual good filler.

For those who don't read the Manga, none of the flashbacks involving Sai and Shin actually happened in it. Shin was obviously talking with Sai while Sasori and Deidara were being dealt with, but it was pretty much all off panel. I won't spoil anything for you of course if you're an Anime only watcher, but there are certainly many times coming up where adding portions of filler like this again would be extremely welcome, and it's what me and many other readers are hoping for.

The best part is that it was done well, the music choices were good and it did a great job of portraying how Sai feels. In the Manga nothing was really elaborated on, it was simply that Shin is Sai's brother and that's why he doesn't want to fight. The Anime actually did well in giving Shin a proper backstory, and also even how he died.

The fights themselves would have no doubt felt very disappointing, as despite Sasori being so strong and an Akatsuki member, to end up not even having a proper exit the second time around is sure to piss off his fans. I remember being annoyed by it back when I read the chapter in the Manga, but of course knowing it was coming lessened the blow for me.

As I said, the parts with Sai and Shin were really nicely done, especially as they are purely Anime content. While probably not technically classed as canon, since it doesn't screw around with the facts that have been established, I welcome such additions as it really builds on the characters and emotions.

This was a pretty good episode overall, and the parts with Sai and Shin (aside from hitting home once again just how much I despise Danzo) more than made up for the disappointment at the lack of proper fights. The war will get better I can assure you of that, but if someone really disliked the episode / content for what happened with what should have been the two battles, I wouldn't be surprised nor would I blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment